But if a person has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need and that person doesn’t care—how can the love of God remain in him? Little children, let’s not love with words or speech but with action and truth 1 John 3:17-18
Imagine a brother or sister who is naked and never has enough food to eat. 16 What if one of you said, “Go in peace! Stay warm! Have a nice meal!”? What good is it if you don’t actually give them what their body needs? 17 In the same way, faith is dead when it doesn’t result in faithful activity. James 2: 15-17
So then, if anyone is in Christ, that person is part of the new creation. The old things have gone away, and look, new things have arrived! 2 Corinthians 5:17
Soak and Share
Soak and Share is a way for you to take Sunday’s teaching to the next level and challenges you to soak in (reflect on) the teachings and share them with others.
The Soak & Share for this week is to make time for the Word, reflect and pray. It is designed to stimulate conversation and improve your reflective time. You can use this to reflect individually or for group discussions.
- READ & REFLECT Romans 12: 8-12
- What is the difference between Jesus’ style of leadership and that of so many leaders today? How can a leader be a servant? Have you ever thought of yourself as a leader? What difference does that awareness make for you?
- Why do you think people are afraid or reluctant to help others today? How can a choice help make you look more like Jesus?
- Do you remember a time when you did not know Christ? How can recalling your own hungry days help you reach out to those who are starving spiritually?
- Have you begun to find true significance through serving? If so, how can your experience encourage others to do the same?
- Why do you think so many of us shy away from groups? What can you do to plug yourself into ministry and encourage others to do so as well, in spite of past issues?
- Have you ever received a blessing that went on to bless others as well, or do you know a story like the ones in this chapter? Share it briefly as an encouragement to invest in others.
READ & REFLECT John 13: 1-17
- What important lesson do you think Jesus was trying to teach his disciples?Why do you think Peter didn’t want Jesus to wash his feet?
- Which takes greater humility: to give help to someone, or to accept help from someone?
- What does Jesus mean when he says that “a servant is not greater than his master”?
- In our society today, what could be the equivalent of washing someone’s feet?