In the Book of Habakkuk, along with other passages in the Bible, we see an emphasis on the importance of writing down (or journaling) regularly the things God is making known to us through our prayers, our Bible reading, our Personal Time With God, the music or songs we are listening to, or just our life circumstances or life experiences.
Habakkuk 2:2 “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it.”
Here is a practice that we learned from Pastor Jorge Acevedo, Senior Pastor of Grace Church, it’s called the “Five Minute Journal”
Five Minute Journal
Each morning, find the time before you begin your Bible Reading, to jot down 3 things.
- Write down five things for which you are grateful or thankful for.
- Write down one thing that is bothering you or you are anxious about.
- Write down two key actions you need to take today to make it a great day.
There is something about this that on most days re-calibrate our minds.
- Gratitude helps us focus on what we have.
- Naming our anxiety helps us to not be assaulted by it later.
- Identifying actions that make the day better allows us to live intentionally.